The mansion and school complex consists of five buildings on approximately 32 acres. The property straddles Peapack/Gladstone in Somerset County and Mendham Township in Morris County. Approximately 12.8 acres are located in Peapack-Gladstone and the remainder in Mendham Township, Morris County. The land is generally gently rolling and offers long views of the Somerset Hills. The location is convenient to Routes 287 and 78 and train transportation is available at the Peapack and Gladstone train stations. Private schools, golf courses and equestrian facilities are nearby. The mansion, Hillandale, was built in 1906 and consists of approximately 18,000 square feet. The exterior is of stone and brick and has a tile roof. The Main Floor includes the Entry Foyer with stone fireplace, a Living Room, Formal Dining Room, Music Room, Office, Butler’s Pantry, Kitchen and two Powder Rooms. Additionally there is a chapel. The second floor contains 10 bedrooms and four bathrooms. The third floor has additional bedrooms and bathrooms.
Hillandale was designed for Katherine Kunhardt Mosle and George Mosle by Grosvenor Atterbury. School Wings: Two wings extend from the front of the mansion and were constructed in the late 1930s. They are three stories high with basements. The second floor of the right wing has dormitory rooms and bathrooms and was renovated in the mid 2000s. Layout: The First Floor contains a large cafeteria with commercial-style kitchen and a walk-in refrigerator (disconnected), a walk-in freezer (disconnected), one dry-storage room, and dishwashing room. The spacious Dining Room has a kitchen attached. The third floor contains seven classrooms and an office. The basement includes an art room, auditorium, offices and storage. Fatima Hall is a two-story brick building constructed in 1950. The first floor has two meeting rooms, sitting room, dining room a commercial-style kitchen and powder rooms. The second floor has 29 bedrooms and multiple bathrooms. Garage and Apartments: Built in the 1930’s and contains a total of approximately 4000 square feet. There is a full bathroom in each of the two units and the exterior construction is primarily of brick and stone. Gymnasium: Steel-framed, metal panel warehouse-style building. Designed to be utilized as a gymnasium with full basketball court, wood floor and rollout grandstands. There are two powder rooms and an office. For permitted uses, please refer to Township of Mendham Ordinance No. 4 – 2008.
Grosvenor Atterbury designed Hillandale which was completed in 1906. Atterbuy received his education at Columbia University and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Additons were added in 1934 and 1949 with renovations done as recently as the mid 2000s. George Rudolf Mosle and his wife Katherine Kunhardt Mosle built Hillandale. The Mosle family was in the shipping and the sugar trade. In 1926 it was purchased by an order of nuns and they first used Hillandale as an orphanage and later as a school. Mount Saint John is covered by Men.Twp.Ord. No.4 -2008 which created a Reuse of Existing Buildings Overlay District
Property Features Include: Historic Home, a detached garage, None
Built in: 1906
Exterior: Brick, Stone
Architectural Style: Victorian
Lot Acres: 30